Tuesday, June 02, 2009

TEMPLE MOUNT WATCH: A stone lifted from a Temple Mount excavation twelve years ago has reportedly been returned by the conscience-stricken tourist who nicked it.
Twelve Years after a Stone Disappeared from an Israel Antiquities Authority Excavation South of the Temple Mount, a Tourist from New York Confessed:"I Took It. My Conscience Bothers Me and I Am Asking for Forgiveness"

The stone, which weighs twenty one kilograms, was returned to Jerusalem this week

In 1997, a twenty one kilogram fragment of a marble column disappeared from one of the excavations the Israel Antiquities Authority was conducting south of the Temple Mount.

Several weeks ago, the IAA received an unexpected e-mail from a priest in the state of New York: "I am requesting forgiveness for a member of my congregation", he writes. "The fellow confessed to me that twelve years ago he took a stone from Jerusalem and his conscience has bothered him ever since. I wish to return the stone to Israel and hope that you will forgive the man for his transgression".

A letter from the fellow was attached to the heavy stone fragment, which arrived in Jerusalem in a wooden crate that was specially constructed for the flight back to Israel. ...
This from the Independent Media Review Analysis website. There are links to photos on the IAA website, but I can't find an IAA press release about it. The Jerusalem Diaries blog links to what seems to have been the relevant press release, but that link is no longer working.

The best part of the story is that the stone weighed 21 kilograms. How did he get it out of the country in the first place?

No charges are being pressed.

UPDATE: The IAA press release (temporary URL) is here. (Via Joseph I. Lauer, of course.)