Wednesday, August 16, 2017

YHWH and Dionysus?

THE ASOR BLOG: Were YHWH and Dionysus Once the Same God? This essay sounds wildly speculative to me, although I concede that a blog post is not an adequate venue for a full defense of it. But I'm going to wait until the case passes muster in a peer-review journal before I take much notice of it.

Meanwhile, I don't doubt that there will a response from others in the Blogosphere. I'll let you know when I hear of something and you please do likewise.

UPDATE: A reader has pointed out the article (published in JSOT) on which the essay is based: Was YHWH worshipped in the Aegean? You can read it at Academia.edu. Okay, fair enough. It has been published in a peer-review journal. It will be interesting to see what responses it receives.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.